Friday, July 18, 2008

Chickpea Soup with Garam Masala and Cilantro

-2 16-ounce cans chickpeas, drained
-1 14-ounce can light coconut milk
-1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
-1/2 cup prepared salsa
-1 1/2 tsps. garam masala*
-1 tsp. ground ginger
-2 Tbs. frozen apple juice concentrate
-1/4 cup packed cilantro leaves
-Garnishes: 1/4 cup plain yogurt and 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions

Purée all ingredients except garnishes in a blender until smooth. Pour into a large saucepan or Dutch oven, and bring to a simmer. Simmer, partially covered and stirring frequently, to blend flavors, 4 to 5 minutes. Serve, garnishing each portion with 1 Tb. of yogurt and 1 Tb. of green onions. Serves 4 *Garam masala is a blend of many Indian spices (national brands include McCormick and Spice Islands).

This is my first attempt at 'bean dishes' and I'm feeling very much like my brother. At first I was extremely wary of this stuff (especially since I added spinach, which probably wasn't a great change on my part as not only did it give it a bit of a weird flavor, but it turned the whole thing an odd shade of green) but it really grew on me. The best thing you can do for this soup is let it sit for a couple days in the fridge. This give the flavors time to blend, and I promise you this isn't poetic crap, it's the truth- this soup is MUCH better on day 3. Add some water or broth every time you heat up the leftovers. I tore up some pumpernickel bread and mixed it in, which was really good, and gave it a bit more consistency. Not bad for a first try.

No comments: