Friday, August 1, 2008

In thanks for all Velveeta has done

So, I've been feasting all week on my well-prepared left-overs of Southwestern Beef and Veggie Bake and Black Bean Soup, but the reserves ran out today and so I had to scrounge up some dinner. By the time I got home after staying (very) late at work, the spirit of Friday left me too lazy to make any real attempt at cooking, so I made one of my favorite doctored quickies. Velveeta Cheese and Shells is one of my go-to comfort foods, but I can't quite shake the fact that I'm consuming starch and orange chemicals, so to ease my guilty conscience, and make it a little heartier, I like to add whatever I have around- my favorite is tomatoes and/or salsa. Other options are broccoli, onion, spinach, any little bit of leftover meat you might have sitting around (taco meat is great), beans, and the list goes on. And, as always, a little garlic can improve any dish that doesn't call for chocolate (same for fresh or dried herbs). So simple, but it's amazing what 2 minutes can do to take a dish from spaghettio's to gourmet.

No comments: